TheGridNet
The Jacksonville Grid Jacksonville

St. Augustine seawall project to start in November 2025 - Jacksonville Business Journal

The new seawall will be built along a popular stretch in the city. The $45 million seawall construction project in St. Augustine, Florida, could begin as early as November 2025. The project is being designed and executed by the Florida Department of Transportation and is expected to add a layer of protection to the historic city. The current seawall, which is showing signs of deterioration, will be nearly two feet higher than the old one and will be used to provide additional security from flooding. The work will affect a popular stretch from the Castillo de San Marcos to the base of the Bridge of Lions along Avenida Menendez. Work on the seawall will only affect walkways and vehicular traffic.

St. Augustine seawall project to start in November 2025 - Jacksonville Business Journal

Publicados : 10 meses atrás por Stuart Korfhage no Business

The new seawall will be built along a popular stretch in the city.

The $45 million St. Augustine seawall construction project could start as early as November 2025 and is expected to add a layer of protection to the historic city.

St. Augustine commissioners received an update on the project at a Commission meeting Monday night.

The project is being designed and executed by the Florida Department of Transportation. After it being in the planning stage for years, city officials and residents now are getting a better idea of the scope of the work and what the finished product will look like.

The start date of work moved earlier on the schedule, as previous FDOT overviews anticipated construction to begin in 2026.

Commissioners and FDOT leaders are expected to discuss the final details of the project at the June 24 Commission meeting.

The affected area will be from the Castillo de San Marcos to the base of the Bridge of Lions along Avenida Menendez. According to FDOT inspections, the current seawall is suffering from "extensive" deterioration and has reached the end of its service life.

The biggest difference: the new seawall will be nearly two feet higher — at 8.5 feet — than the old wall.

At Monday's meeting, Mayor Nancy Sikes-Kline said the increased height would impact views from the street but that "aesthetic tradeoffs" were necessary to provide added security from flooding.

"What is very, very important to us is our historic structures that we are protecting," she said.

Work on the seawall will have only a limited impact on access to walkways on Avenida Menendez. FDOT plans to use a temporary work platform, performing construction work from the water side.

"This is going to be the least disruptive to our current day-to-day life and vehicular traffic," Jessica Beach, the city's chief resilience officer, said Monday.

Sign up here for the Business Journal’s free morning and afternoon daily newsletters to receive the latest business news impacting the First Coast, and download our free app to get breaking news alerts on your phone.

Read at original source